Los Angeles Lantern Festival 2022
CAM presents the 21st Anniversary of the Los Angeles Lantern Festival with virtual programs and special events throughout Lunar New Year!
Join us for the following virtual events in celebration of this year’s Lantern Festival. More events to be announced in the near future! Register once at camla.org/lanternfestival to get access to all of this year’s Lantern Festival related events. All program times are in Pacific Standard Time.
Thurs., Feb. 3rd | 4pm – 4:45pm
Kids Storytime with Oliver Chin
Join with the little one(s) for a special edition of our Kids Storytime series with the Chinatown Branch Library welcoming author Oliver Chin for a reading of The Year of the Tiger. Enjoy listening to the story read by Oliver Chin and a fun arts and crafts activity led by Children’s Librarian, Miss Rita. Children of all ages welcome with parental supervision.
Thurs., Feb 10th | 5pm – 6pm
Familiar Flavors: Stories Made in the Kitchen
Cook along with CAM and cookbook author, Kristina Cho! She’ll be demonstrating her grandmother’s recipe for Fa Gao (Steamed Cupcakes) and be joined by local food writer and editor, Cathy Chaplin. Audience members will receive a discount code during the program to purchase Kristina’s new Chinese baking cookbook, Mooncakes and Milk Bread.
- 150g (1 1/4 cups) pancake mix, such as Bisquick
- 150g (1 1/4 cups) all-purpose flour
- 130g (2/3 cup) firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 300g (1 1/3 cups) water
- Individual 3-inch cupcake/ tart molds
- Bamboo steamer (with matching pot for boiling water)
- Large mixing bowl
- Paper cupcake liners
- Prepare your steamer setup and bring water to a rapid boil. Line ten individual 3-inch cupcake molds with paper liners and arrange in two bamboo steamers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk to combine the pancake mix, flour, brown sugar, and water until smooth. (The batter should be thick but runny).
- Divide the batter evenly between the molds, filling each about three-quarters full. Stack the bamboo steamers and cover with a lid. Steam for 15 minutes. Lift the lid, remove the steamers, and allow the cupcakes to cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Year of the Tiger Cut Paper Activity
Enjoy this ‘Year of the Tiger’ at-home activity designed by cut paper artist, Bovey Lee! Download, print, and cut this fun template! Tag us on Instagram with your completed tiger!
Tiger Tube Activity
Get wild with another tiger-themed at-home craft activity. All you need are scissors, paints and brushes or markers, glue, and a printed version of this template below!
Wed., Feb 23rd | 4pm – 4:45pm
Kids Storytime with Ms Rita
Join us for another Kids Storytime in our Lantern Festival series! Miss Rita will be reading “My Love For You Is Always,” written by Gillian Sze and illustrated by Michelle Lee. This book is suited for children 4-8 years old, though we welcome children of all ages with parental supervision. Kid’s Story Time is hosted in partnership with the Chinatown Branch Library with stories read by Children’s Librarian, Rita Law.
Thurs., Feb 24th | 5pm – 6pm
Lunar New Year Symbols and Traditions with Chef Don Lee
Chef Don Lee and FCAM Board Chair Dr. Gay Yuen will share all about the special ingredients that make up the many lucky Lunar New Year dishes! Watch to see clips from our shopping trip at one of our favorite spots at Wing Hop Fung where we found everything from dried abalone to the special Chinese wine, Moutai!
Sat., Mar 5th