Program and Outreach Director
Position Summary: The Chinese American Museum (CAM) aims to foster a deeper understanding of, and appreciation for, America’s diverse heritage by researching, preserving, and sharing the hisotyr, rich cultural legacy, and continued contributions of Chinese Americans. CAM is the first museum in Southern California dedicated to the Chinese American experience and history.
CAM is facing a period of exciting change, growth, and team-building. The museum is seeking a Program and Outreach Director to oversee the coordination and administration of all aspects of ongoing public programming, including planning, organizing, staffing, and executing program activities.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about innovative programming, community outreach, and growing the museum’s members base. Working with the Executive Director and curatorial team, the program director will conceptualize and execute a slate of programming that complements the museum’s mission, permanent and temporary exhibitions, and the communities that the museum serves. The Program and Outreach Director will also initiate and cultivate community partnerships.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan the delivery of programming in accordance with the mission and goals of the organization, to highlight and complement the museum’s exhibitions and educational aims, and to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- With the Executive Director, develop an annual budget and operation plan to support programming.
- With the Executive Director, recruit, interview, and select well-qualified program staff as needed.
- With the Executive Director, manage contracts and events budget for each event.
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the public programming and identify areas for improvement.
- Handle all event applications, site plans, and vendor contracts for each event.
- Produce timelines and staff and volunteer assignments for each event.
- Work closely with El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument/City of Los Angeles staff to coordinate event execution.
- Initiate and cultivate community partnerships that highlight the museum’s role in the community.
- BA or BS required
- 2-4 years experience in public programming, events planning, or community outreach.
- An understanding of the multicultural community of which the museum is a part of.
- An understanding of the Chinese American community in Southern California.
- A strong sense of professionalism and attention to detail.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to think creatively about outreach and public programming; how to introduce the museum to larger, broader audiences; and ways to position the museum for increased exposure to funding opportunities.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a broad range of people and priorities.
- Ability to multi-task and handle competing deadlines.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Sharon Chen (email@example.com).